Wednesday, June 06, 2007

HP Laserjet 1018 Printer Review


















Here's a review from amazon customer about HP Laserjet 1018 Printer
I hope this review helful for you.

here's :
This printer is okay, but I was disappointed to learn that:

* It has no parallel port. It seems that most modern printers only connect via a USB port. That's a real problem if you're using a DOS based word processor, because DOS programs don't recognize USB ports. So you must go through all sorts of computer hoops and patches, and find drivers, to work around it. If you can even do that.

Of course, this should not be an issue for most users. But if it is, then be aware of it.

* The tray only holds 150 pages. When it runs out of paper, it stops printing. And unlike the older HP 5P, when you reload it with pages, it doesn't automatically start printing again. You have to hit the "Retry" command via the computer.

* The tray is uncovered, so the pages collect dust.

* This 1018 is of flimsier build than older bottom-rung HP laser printers. It seems that HP is now targeting the low-end laser market, with more cheaply built printers.

Of course, those older bottom-rung HPs weren't cheap. My first laser printer was the bottom-rung HP 2P, which I bought in 1990 for $900. It was still working in 1995, when I traded it in for an HP 5P -- which cost nearly as much and is still going strong.

I don't expect this HP 1018 to last as long, but it's still a good buy. It includes a print cartridge, which is a $90 value -- so it's like buying a cartridge and getting a printer tossed it for practically free.

Some people have complained of its slow speed, but until now I was using the HP 5P which runs at 6 ppm, so the 1018's 12 ppm seems very fast to me.

I only wish this 1018 had a parallel port. Since it doesn't, this HP 1018 will supplement my HP 5P.

By Thomas M. Sipos (Santa Monica, CA)

No comments:


Copy right @ 2005 Printer Blog - Printer Site Map